Sunday, April 22, 2012

Crayon Art






If anyone at all has been on Pinterest, you know about crayon art.  Well, this was my first experience with this type of project and it turned out...ok. 

Supplies:

1 Canvas panel (any size, but for this project I used an 11" x 14")
Crayons (Crayola crayons work best for me)
e6000 glue (or other preferred adhesive)
Acrylic paint (black and gold used here)
Paintbrush 
Hair dryer
Dash of patience

I used an 11" x 14" canvas panel and painted it black using inexpensive acrylic paint.  Once the paint dried, I glued the crayons on with e6000 adhesive glue.  (This works much better for me.  I found that the glue from a hot gun dried too quickly.)

Once the crayons were secure and the glue was dried (I waited about 15 minutes), I fired up the hair dryer.  If you have the patience (which were not spared when I was created), I suggest using the low setting and taking your time.  The crayon will melt slower but the results will be much more smoother and you will not get as many splatters and mixing of paint as I did here.

I started by placing the head of the blow dryer close to the top of the crayons and sweeping down to the bottom (about 3 or 4 crayons at a time).  You'll see the crayons getting "wet" as the start to melt.  I let the crayons get soaked until I saw them begin to drip from the bottom tips.  I let the drips fall onto the painted canvas and again swept the blow dryer in a downward fashion, allowing the melted wax to smear all the way down.

Once I melted it all I could with the little amount of patience I DO have, I let it dry.  I used a gold acrylic paint to add the word "dream".  This paint is resistant to the wax, so this took some time and a couple of coats to complete.  Any color will do; however, the project I saw on Pinterest was painted in white and was much more appealing to the eye than the gold.  White is the only color of paint I did not have at the time--go figure!

My brother--a self-proclaimed and lifetime dreamer--is the proud owner of my first Pinterest project and absolutely loves it!  It hangs on the wall of his office as he works each day on fulfilling his dreams as an entrepreneur.

No comments:

Post a Comment